Friday 27 October 2017

Lessons in Profound Gratitude


I like to think of myself as a pretty grateful person.  I try to use my manners.  I keep a journal where I list the things and events that I am grateful for.  I really do like to believe that I embrace a life of gratitude.

Image result for mustard seed edmonton logoLast night, I was blessed with the opportunity to take Waylon down to the Mustard Seed and serve a meal alongside him.  Honestly, at many points this week, this did not feel like a blessing or an opportunity - it felt like a commitment.  It felt like another thing crammed into our ridiculously busy week - that week where everything seems to fall all at once.  I was tired and I hate driving in the city.  Can you hear it?  Excuses and bad attitude abounding.  Even in that, I knew that I had committed to going and I wanted Waylon to have this experience.  So off we set....

Now on the other side of this experience I have an entirely different perspective.  I am so grateful that I did not let those excuses and bad attitude win out.  What I was able to be a part of last night was truly incredible.  I have helped out with these meals many times over the years.  In the past I have always been involved in the preparation part of the meal.  Last night was the first time that I was able to actual serve the clients and speak to them.  The greatest lessons and blessings came in the interactions with the people we met and in watching my son interact with these people.

The people that we served last night were on the most part some of the most humble and polite people I have seen all gathered together in one place.  There are a few characters that I will keep in my mind and heart though.  There was one gentleman who took the time to stop and thank each and every person volunteering.  He looked them in the eye.  He didn't just say thank you.  He spoke to each of us individually.  You could see through his eyes right into his beautiful heart.  There was one lady who had on this hat that I really wish I had taken a picture of.  It was covered in pink sequins and she had wrapped silk flowers around it and around her neck.  In a place where life seems dark and sad, she brought colour and beauty.  There was this other lady.  She was such a tiny thing but the joy she oozed was not tiny.  She did a huge happy dance when she saw that Waylon had oranges to hand out.  One man asked if it was thanksgiving because there was so much food.  He looked like he was about to cry.  We were able to fill every single plate that came through to overflowing and then offer seconds (and in some cases thirds).  Not a single person in that building went away hungry last night.

On the way home, Waylon and I were able to talk through our experience.  It really hit home that it is by the grace of God that I was on the serving side of that table, not the side receiving the meal.  We gave them a warm meal but they gave me something that will last so much longer.  The people I met last night gave me a glimpse of what true gratitude looks like.  I honestly believe that I received so much more than I will ever be able to give in this lifetime.

1 comment: