Tuesday 22 March 2016

It's an Epidemic!

The past couple weeks have had a great deal to ponder.  My numbers have been slipping further and further in a direction that needs to be redirected immediately.  I did have a couple bad days that were a result of illness but not all of my days with blank squares can be attributed to a valid reason.  Bad weeks can be great depending on what you do after them.


So back to the epidemic!  Our goal is mastery or, as Sifu Brinker encourages us to define it, as eliminating mediocrity.  My past couple weeks have been filled with mediocre living.  Our world is full of mediocre living.  It is an epidemic!


In my ponderings, I have discovered what I believe to be the number one public enemy in my life to the elimination of mediocrity.  I have been watching my family - same issue.  Public enemy number one is a simple word, a word we all us each and every day.  "Later....."


I will do my pushups later...  I will do my situps later...  I will practice my forms later...  I will write that blog later...  And on and on it goes...  And that is just my kung fu laters.


So when is later...  I have actually started asking my kids this when they give me that answer.  Lucky for them, they have someone who is starting to figure out this trap.  Don't get me wrong.  Later truly has a place in our lives.  We all have extremely full lives and not a single one of us can do everything we have on our plates right now.  Later is a fact of life.  What is dangerous is when later is left undefined - it just never comes.


So what am I doing with my laters...  I am starting to ask myself the same questions that I've been asking my kids.  First I'm trying to determine if what I am doing in the moment has a valid place in my journey towards mastery and then I'm trying to define when that later will actually happen.  I am waging a war against this epidemic one question, one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment