Thursday 30 June 2016

Back with a Vengeance

We all have different injuries and issues that we must manage.  I find that the older I get, the more I'm required to carefully manage my physical health.  No more taking it for granted...  I need to be carefully checking in.  How do my hips feel?  How is my knee?  Does it feel unstable?  Have a stretched out the back of my legs lately?  Calves???  Have I done my core exercises?  What about my arms?  Then there is my mental maintenance for the post concussion symptoms I am still working through.


It has been brought to my attention that in the effort to pursue my mental maintenance, that I have neglected one very important body part.  With all of the physical issues that I have encountered over the years, honestly the hardest one for me is the carpal tunnel in my wrists.  Every other issue requires action.  I can do my exercises, stretch, roll around on my foam roller and try not to cry.  I apparently spent too much time weeding a little too much vigour.  The result is that my garden therapy has lead to sleepless nights and a host of other not so lovely results.


What does this mean for my training and goals?  Well, I am having to be very careful with my wrists.  After a chat with Sifu Vantuil, push ups are being done on my knuckles.  Yup, that is definitely slowing things down.  I have been swinging my sword around less but I am grateful that I am not needing to work on a staff form right now.  There are many of my goals that this does impact in a some way or another but I am doing what I can to take it a little more slowly and trying to not aggravate it further.  Hopefully next week the doctor can help me out with some good anti-inflammatories to get things back under control.  I have tried graston (which is torture) and had small successes in the past and may look into that again next week if things don't start to improve. 


Anyways, I am feeling a little done with the keyboard.  It's hard to type with sleepy hands...  So I am off to races slowly and carefully...

No comments:

Post a Comment