Monday 9 February 2015

Who Wants to be a Black Belt?

I am sitting on the mats in the kwoon surrounded by a small group of vibrating, mini martial artists.  These kids are excited and pumped to be learning Kung Fu.  The Sifu asks, "Who wants to be a black belt?"  Every hand around me shoots into the air with little bodies trying to contain themselves from jumping up and down.  I look around me and seriously every single person has their hand up - that is everyone except me.... 


This really is one of the pivotal moments that put me onto this journey.  I have not had the pleasure of joining this super excited, pint-sized, aspiring black belts for over seven months.  Even if I was on the mats today though, my hand would still not fly up into the air.  Why?  To be honest, I never even truly entertained the thought of becoming a black belt.  After being exposed to some of the requirements, especially the fitness test, I have been unable to truly entertain that thought.  I look at where I am today and I can't reconcile the distance between that and those requirements.  I have been unable to entertain that even as a dream because it just plain old seems completely unrealistic.


That may lead you to ask - why on earth have you signed up for the I Ho Chuan team then?  Seriously, it is modeled after the Ultimate Black Belt Challenge.  I am tired of looking at who I am today and feeling stuck.  I am ready to take a step forward to see what I am capable of.  A year from now I do not know what the answer to this question will be for me.  You just may need to ask me then!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! Can't wait to ask you this question... might not wait till next year.

    ReplyDelete