Monday 16 February 2015

Goals to Guide the Journey

At the last meeting, Sifu Brinker encouraged each of us to document our starting point for a variety of reasons.  First of all, so that we can see our growth as the year goes on.  The second reason seemed even more significant...  So that we have a reminder and encouragement for ourselves when the going gets tough.  We were ensured that there will be times when the going is going to be tough and it is how we handle this challenge that will shape our year.


I have been thinking about what reminder I want to leave for myself over the past week or so.  I just looked over my list of 14 personal goals.  Each of these goals were carefully chosen for a specific purpose in my life.  Many of them are small daily actions.  Many are goals to fight procrastination in my life.  Many are designed to help me stay present and intentional as I live out the day to day.  Many are designed to set an example, through my actions, to the people in my life of what I believe in and value most.  This list of goals is exciting and scary all at the same time.


One of the biggest reminders I want to leave for myself is that each day is a new start.  Change happens in the present moment.  Whatever I did or did not accomplish yesterday is history.  I can choose how I live in each day and in each moment.  I can choose to take a step in the right direction or I can choose to not take any steps at all.  It is up to me to own these choices.  The list of goals is huge and sitting in my chair tonight, it would be easy to feel defeated before I even begin.  I just need to remember that I don't need to accomplish these goals today - just make progress on the journey.


So I am taking a deep breath and getting ready to jump in with both feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment