Thursday 12 September 2019

Seeking the Void

The void seems to be a concept that is tricky to explain and therefore, tricky to understand.  

My limited understanding of the void is that it is the state of truly being present.  There is no outside noise from your brain about the past or the future.  You are completely aware of where you are and what you are doing in that one particular moment.  All that exists is that one particular moment.  Intent can remain pure because there is not thought of past or future, just the current moment. 

In class on Tuesday, Sifu Hayes was trying to get us to do our forms in the void.  He asked us why we look to our instructors while we are doing our forms.  For me, it is often a case of seeking validation.  I want to learn.  I want to improve.  I want to know that I am doing things right.  As I have progressed, I am finding that by looking to my instructor for validation, I am actually dividing my focus.  I should be paying complete attention to what I am doing.  If I am doing that, I will feel where things are not quite right and can ask the question.  If there is something that is not right that I am unable to feel, I need to trust my instructor to point it out to me.  

With all of the brain clutter that I am currently dealing with, I found the reminder to be completely involved in what I am doing something that I needed to hear.  I found that as I worked on it during class, slipping completely into my forms became easier each time.  It was helpful that the form we were practicing this on was 18 Temple Motions which is the form I chose to master this year.  Removing distractions and analytical thought and just working on feeling what I was doing was actually a very freeing exercise.

This is definitely something that I would like to further explore and work on.  I am finding my mental chaos draining and distracting in all areas of my life.  Being intentional, focused and present will serve me well in every moment of every day.  I know this is not something that is easily achieved but it is a worthy pursuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment